Monday, June 16, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things



I’m just an old fashioned girl, living in a new fangled world.
I love technology, always have. Anything that comes out advancing us as a people is magical genius to me.
I love the creature comforts. I love hot and cold running water, and I don’t really want to know where it’s coming from (although, having well water, I know all too much where it comes from). I love heat in winter and air conditioning in summer. I love flushing toilets and bubbling bathtubs. Glass top stoves and convection ovens. Industrial mixers and refrigerators. Even though it’s not PC, I love fur. I wouldn't kill for it, but I happen to have one from my grandmother’s closet, and I love it. That shiz is warm people! Don’t judge.
I love photography. I took my first photography class in high school, and I was in love. Technology and creativity in one beautiful media. I was hooked. I joined the yearbook photographer staff, and had a ball! In college, I became an art education major with a concentration in photography. This was the old school photography with chemicals, developing and darkrooms. I spent many hours in a dark room, and I loved every minute of it. There is nothing quite like bringing a vision in your mind to life on a page. Well, almost nothing.
Which brings me to my next love: baking. I would bake every day if I could. I considered opening my own bakery, at one point, a few years ago. The town I live in is a little small for that though, as was my pocket book. But I still love to bake. I bake cakes for my family’s birthdays, and cookies when the kids or hub requests them, or some banana bread when there are some lying around that are too ripe, or for a school function, or just because. I've been doing it since I was a kid, and I hope to do it ‘til I’m too old to care.
I love video games. Yep. I said it. I am a gamer! Space Invaders, Pole Position, Pac Man and Missile Command on the Atari, back in the day. Centipede in any arcade I ever went in. I stopped playing through high school and college for some weird reason. Later, my hub got me playing Sonic on the Sega. (If it sounds like I’m speaking a different language right about now, just bear with me.) I stuck with the simple games, while the hub went on to first person shooters on the Playstation. Using two joysticky things just to move around? That was ludicrous!
Pregnant with our third babe, I was getting a bit stir crazy during the day. I am at home all day, but the other kiddies were basically in school all day. Any woman can tell you, those last days, hours, minutes…are a life time! So, to stop myself from going nuts, my hub suggested I try his latest shooter with him: Resistance. It freaked me out! There were alien monster thingies jumping out everywhere, and shooting, and violence! Yet, I couldn't stop watching! Finally, I tried playing. I was horrible at first, but got the hang of it to at least be able to move around. That game is still one of my favorites. It opened up multiplayer gaming for me, and I haven’t looked back since! Again, for those of you unfamiliar with gaming, multiplayer is being able to play, online, with other peeps! Strangers, or friends, I have met many interesting people in gaming! But that is for another blog.
I love to sew. When I was in high school, I thought I would go into fashion. I love fashion design, the clothing, the fabrics. There was only one problem: I didn't know how to sew. Flash forward about eight years, and I am a new mom. When my first born was just a babe, my mother in law gave me my first sewing machine. I learned how to sew children’s clothing, and my love for fashion was reignited. I made cute girly clothes for my daughter, and then made them for other people’s babies. I loved it. The combination of creativity and calculation was, in my mind, the best.
That’s what I love the most. Using both sides of my brain to create something wonderful. It not only stimulates more of my mind at once, but to create something in the real world that started as just an idea, to me is the ultimate. (Aside from creating life itself, but that goes without saying.)
Let me know what things your brain likes!

No comments:

Post a Comment