Monday, April 14, 2014

Holidays: Happy Holy Week



Some people are celebrating Passover right now...

Happy Passover.

I think Passover is a terrific holiday to remember, and was impressed as a child that it had been celebrated for so long throughout history. I think it should be celebrated by any nationality. It is a good thing to remember and be happy for.

Others are celebrating Holy Week...

The week of Easter.

I am one of these. I was raised Catholic, and I now raise our children Catholic.
Easter always held a special place in my heart.
Of course, as a child, I looked forward to candy filled baskets (after I got over my fear of the Easter Bunny), but my Catholic upbringing soon brought deeper meaning to the holiday.
I remember many occasions when I hear or see (in many movies) the Passion of Jesus and I feel sad and heartbroken.
I cry all the time when I hear it. Still.
Even though it took place over two thousand years ago, I still cry for Jesus' death on the cross.
Remembering this every year is important to me as a Catholic. It is, after all, the cornerstone of our faith. It is the reason Catholicism exists.
I believe that is an important thing to remember, and to teach our children.
Jesus led a beautiful, peaceful, loving life. If we all aspired to live like he did, it would be a pretty great world.



Now, people spend their lives studying world religions to become versed in them, and knowledgeable in their faith.
This blog is to acknowledge the holiday, so I don't plan on getting too religious.



The neat thing about holidays is you can make of them what you wish. You can celebrate religiously, you can celebrate with the bunnies, you can simply celebrate Spring's arrival. I love that we have the freedom to do that in my country. I like to mix them all up into one celebration.
Easter will always hold a special place in my heart. It is the reason I am Catholic.



This week I will start the celebration by making unleavened bread on Holy Thursday.

I will attend the Passion in Church on Friday, fasting as much as I can.

Saturday will be preparing for Easter morning, as I assist the Easter bunny.

Saturday night I hope to have time to attend our Church's Easter vigil celebration mass.

Sunday I prefer to enjoy the morning watching our three children, two nieces, and one nephew hunt for their baskets, enjoy the charge they get from eating sugary treats for breakfast, then have the rest of my family over for dinner. We also sneak in a luncheon and egg hunt with my in laws.

It's a day of family...



of love...



of remembrance...
of celebration of life.

Happy Holy week in whatever way you choose to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment