Monday, September 29, 2014

My Favorite Things: Why Don't I Do Them More Often?

I do things every day that I need to do. Everything from personal hygiene and exercise to working, chores, and running errands. I do combinations of these things on a daily basis. I try not to think about them too much, especially if I don't like them. Sometimes I do like some things, or learn to enjoy them, or learn to deal with them. But I get them done. Something gets done every day.
But...
My favorite things:
Baking


Sewing
Playing Video Games (Yep, I'm a gamer.)
Swimming

Photography




Writing

When it comes to my favorite things, sadly I don't get to do them as often as I would like. My day fills with obligation, and next thing I know, it's time for bed. (Okay, sometimes, even frequently, I play video games before bed, so I can't complain there.) Sometimes a day simply goes by, and it didn't occur to me to do a favorite thing.
Life just happens, gets in the way, occurs. It's not a bad thing. It's life, after all. It's all the little strands coming together to weave our own cloth, our story.
When I do get the opportunity to do the things I love, especially if it's been a while since I've done them, I think to myself, "Why aren't I doing this every day? Every chance I get? I love doing this! I need to make time to enjoy this more often."
Then life happens. Still. Consistent. Strong.
Somehow I forget how much I enjoyed sewing that last outfit or gift for someone. I forget how much I love swimming, how it makes my muscles happy. I forget how much I love taking a picture for the sake of capturing something I think is beautiful. I forget how it feels to frost a cake and have it turn out exactly as I pictured it.
How could I forget these things? Why would I want to forget something that makes me happy?
Perhaps it is because I go spans of time between doing the things I love that keep them in the "love" category in the first place. By doing them less often than the every day things, they stay fun, enjoyable, loved, special.
(I feel like I just went off on a ramble, but that's how my mind works.)
Today I got to write. I enjoyed it. I will definitely do it again, hopefully sooner than later.
Enjoy something in your day, every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment