Monday, May 12, 2014

To Vlog or Blog?

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the terms above:
Blogging - to write about something and share it on the internet.
Vlogging - to record about something and share it on the internet.

Which do you prefer? Or do you like both?
Recently I’ve become fascinated with the You Tube world. I even have my own channel. It is an exploding video media for teens and 20 somethings. There are vlogs, parodies, original hilarity, how to’s…you name it, you can probably find it there. It’s great fun when you have a few minutes to spare.
Unfortunately my few minutes tend to turn into a half a day or more!
I get caught up on one You Tuber and watch dozens of their videos! The funnier and more creative the better. I will also watch their vlogs. Often times a funny or entertainment channel will have a “second channel” for their more serious recordings. There they get a bit more real, a bit of their every day goings on.
I was going to use the term voyeurism here. Until I actually looked up the definition. It’s all sexual and stuff, so that’s not the word I’m looking for here (if that’s your thing, then all the power to you, but that’s not what I’m trying to address here).
Viewerism?
Watching these videos after a while feels like you know the person/people in them on a level totally different and way more personal than anything on television. It’s the next step in reality tv. It’s personal video. These teens and 20 somethings are becoming famous by being on You Tube. As famous as any television or movie celebrity. Now, they may not all have millions of followers. Not all, but some do. Many of them though, have hundreds of thousands of viewers and are making good money over there on You Tube. You see, you can get paid for original content on You Tube by how many hits (views), subscribers and clicks on your advertising you get. These “kids” are making their living by vlogging.
“Bravo,” I say to them! They’re doing something they love and making a living at it! Isn’t that the dream after all?
I get a kick out of it all. Technology. I love it.
Now blogging has been around since the dawn of the internet as well. People are using the internet to share, share, share! People blog about everything under the sun!
My favorite things to read are my daughter’s blog, of course; Fair Flying. She writes. It’s her life. It’s a part of her and it is amazing. Not just saying that because she is my daughter either. It’s really great stuff. (Their might be a little bias there, but hey…you’ll never know unless you check her out!)
My sister’s blog as well; The Whimsical Sweet. My sis blogs about her amazing life as a stay at home, home schooling, business owning mom. Never a dull moment or blog there.
I will pretty much read any friends’ blogs about nearly anything. I like to see what my friends have to share. I like anything funny, witty, touching, lesson teaching, baking or creating things blogs.
Mostly it’s about being entertained for me, with the occasional learning on the side. I am grateful for all the bloggers and vloggers out there. They’ve helped me learn many things, laugh and even shed a tear. So, thanks for sharing, you internet peeps! Keep it up, as I look forward to your next posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment