Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Author Interview: Samantha Clarke

It's been a busy couple of months in the book world, peeps!

Part of it is getting to meet new authors just about every day! There are indie authors, and traditional authors, and every genre you can imagine! It's a pleasure, every single time I meet one!

Today's blog is an interview with Samantha Clarke: a lovely, young author who has writing coursing through her veins!
So, let's get to it...ladies and gents...Samantha Clarke!





When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was probably twelve or thirteen, it was my freshman year of high school.


How long does it take you to write a book?
I’ve only published one book so far, but after I sat down and became serious about finishing it I was in the final stages of editing after four months.



What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
On days that I’m able to I will write for an hour or two in the morning, go about my day and then write for another hour or so before going to bed.



What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I write everything down in a notebook, including backstories, world building etc. before I type anything out.



Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
From reading or from the world around me.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
As I mentioned I recently just published my first book, but the first book I have ever written I was the last part ninth grade, so I was probably thirteen at the time.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I like to read a lot but between school, work and writing I don’t get to read very much at all.


What does your family think of your writing?
My partner and their family is a lot more supportive than my own. The only people in my family that are supportive are one of my cousins, my mother and her parents. The rest of my family doesn’t take my writing very seriously at all.




What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
I pay very little attention to grammar when I’m ‘in the zone’. It took me ages to edit my book and finish all of my grammatical errors.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written three, but only one has been published. I don’t plan on publishing the other two, as they were written when I was much younger.


Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Since I’m still learning the tools of the trade, I feel like I need advice more than I would be able to give it.


Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I’ve heard from a couple. They’ve all asked me when my second book is coming out and have told me that they can’t wait to read it.


Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes, however my target audience is young adults.


What do you think makes a good story?
Good world building and consistency.


As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
When I was very young I wanted to be a teacher and own a farm.


Thank you, Samantha!
If you'd like to find out more about Samantha, visit her here:

No comments:

Post a Comment